Comforter Ministry - Mission
Comforter Ministry Mission is based on these truths of God's Word
- God is the source of my comfort, the God of all comfort and hope. 2 Corinthians 1:3-5 and Romans 15:13
- God is my Triune God – three persons but one God. God the Father is the creator of everything, my creator, and the first person of the Trinity. Jesus Christ is the Savior of the entire world, my personal Savior (John 3:16). He is the second person of the Trinity who is true God and true man, came to earth to live, suffer, and die for my sins, rose from the dead, and has prepared a place in heaven for me. The Holy Spirit, the Comforter/Counselor, is the third person of the Trinity. He has brought me to faith, comforts, and counsels me. 2 Corinthians 1:21,22
- The Holy Spirit, my Comforter/Counselor, comes to me in Word and sacrament (Baptism and Lord’s Supper) to comfort and counsel me. Acts 2:38 and John 14:16
- My sinful nature hears the words of God but can’t understand them nor take them into my heart by faith without the Comforter/Counselor. For example, I go to a doctor and hear what is said but don’t understand: but a friend who is familiar with medical terms goes with me and explains what the doctor meant. That is what the Holy Spirit, the Comforter/Counselor, does for me. 1 Corinthians 2:10b-14 and 12:3b
- My Comforter, the Holy Spirit, intercedes for me even when I don’t know what to pray or can’t physically or emotionally pray. Romans 8:26,27
- My Comforter, the Holy Spirit, gives me the best advice and the greatest comfort. The result is Jesus’ peace. John 14:26,27
- The work of the Holy Spirit through God’s Word compels me to reach out to others with the love and comfort I’ve received (2 Corinthians 1:4,5). No matter my circumstance, I am a new creation in Christ! 2 Corinthians 5:14,15,17
2 Corinthians 1:3-5
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
2 Corinthians 1:21,22
Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. he anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.
Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."
And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another counselor to be with you forever - the Spirit of truth.
1 Corinthians 2:10b-14
The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man’s spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the spirit of God. We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us. This is what we speak, not in the words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1 Corinthians 12:3b
and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.
John 14: 26, 27
But the counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you., Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
2 Corinthians 5:14,15,17
For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again . . . Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!